Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ciao Venice

Sorry about the lack of blogging lately; it's been a busy month filled with traveling. Like I've said once before, Spain loves their 'holidays', so I had an extra long break from work (I may or may not have skipped a day or two, but that's beside the point...).

 We were first only going to go to Venice, but Patrick really wanted to go to Rome too, and it didn't take too much convincing for me to agree. Like everyone here has told me, I have to 'aprovecharme', or take advantage of, living in Spain and being so close to all of these fabulous countries. And that's exactly what we did.

Welcome to Italy!

As soon as we stepped off the plane, Venice greeted us with rain and freezing temperatures that we're not quite used to in Spain. We didn't have a map and weren't quite sure what to do, so we just started walking. That was what we did for the majority of the trip, and it's actually quite charming walking through the many winding streets and canals in Venice. 

Over the Grand Canal
Since it was pretty rainy and cold the whole time we were in Venice (note: don't go to Venice in December!), we did quite a bit of "indoor sightseeing", a.k.a. we visited A LOT of museums. It sounds boring, but most of them were actually very interesting. Although we both enjoyed Doge's Palace, my favorite was the Palazzo Mocenigo, a fashion museum with dresses and costumes from the early 20th century, while Patrick's was the Museum of Natural History (who doesn't love dinosaurs?!).

Doge's Palace
Patrick and I definitely enjoyed ourselves in Venice, although it would have been a bit more pleasant had it been warm and sunny instead of cold and rainy, but hey, we were in Venice! We took advantage of the time we had there and explored basically the whole island. But let's not forget about the food; I think we ate enough pasta, pizza and gelato in Venice to last us a very long time, and it was excellent!

This post would get way too long if I included our trip to Rome, so I'll save that for the next post. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. :)

Gondolas

In front of the Rialto Bridge

Finally some sun in Venice!

Over the Grand Canal

The canals were very charming :)
Patrick on one of the many bridges in Venice

Next up: Rome and a little announcement...

Hasta luego!






No comments:

Post a Comment