Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chocolate, Waffles, Beer, Repeat - Belgium

Last week, I had a 5-day break from work, so I decided to take a little trip to Belgium, a place famous for its chocolate (ohhh the chocolate!). In other words, my dream come true. 

Hello, lover.
Saturday was mainly spent traveling, but as soon as we arrived in Brussels, we set off toward the city center. It wasn't long before we stumbled upon some delicious Belgian waffles.

Tourist waffle, but so so so delicious!
After devouring our amazing waffles, we made our way toward Grote Markt, or the main square in Brussels. It was beautiful! The buildings are all so ornate and so European!

Inside Grote Markt

So ornate!
After some more exploring (but not too much, since it was so cold!), we decided to search for some traditional flavored Belgian beer, and ended up at Delirium Bar, which has tons and tons of beer choices. My first choice...a fantastic cherry-flavored beer.

My face is so flushed from the beer!
On Sunday, we took a train to Bruges, a quaint little picturesque town that I fell in love with! All of the little houses and buildings are made of brick and are so charming! 

I love this place!

Inside the main square, just love those colors!
Not to mention, the chocolate here was to die for. Seriously, that good. I may have spent more money on chocolate on this trip than anything else, but surprisingly, not much of it made it back home with me...

Best day of my life. Best chocolate of my life.
While in Bruges, we had the chance to tour the 150-year-old De Halve Maan Brewery. Our tour guide was hilarious, and the best part of the tour was getting a free beer at the end. I would definitely recommend it if you're ever in Bruges.

Such a cute little brewery

Delish!
We made our way back to Brussels that night, and spent the next couple days exploring more of the city, eating more waffles -- seriously could not resist these things, indulging in some delicious french fries (yum!), and of course, seeing the famous Mannekin Pis statue. To my surprise, it was smaller than I thought, and of course, a little funny. You'll see why...

Sometimes they hook beer kegs up to him!
Yes, that's a little boy. And yes, he is peeing.

We ended our stay with a couple quite a few more Belgian beers, including a raspberry beer that was absolutely delicious and went down soooo smooth. Of course, our large intake of beer caused us to venture out in search of more fries, which ultimately led us down an alley that we later realized was full of prostitutes, buuuut that's a different story for a different day.

Bottom line: If you want good beer, good chocolate, & good waffles, Belgium is THE place for you!

Hasta luego :)












No comments:

Post a Comment